Monday 7 October 2013

His Magnum Opus…

 

“YOU!!”

Yes, me. You can glare at me all your like, but that isn’t going to change anything now. Not even the dire state that you’re in right now. Nothing more than a Rottweiler baring its dull fangs, restrained behind the bars your set around you.

I can see that you’re set, reading to strike. But try me, I’ve won once, and I shall again, if necessary. Younger, stronger, faster and far more crafty, considering how I’ve out-manoeuvred you time and time again. Yes, you have a weapon in your hand, but what can that nearly-empty whiskey bottle do against the intrigue and scheme that I’m so capable of producing? You can always try, but I’ll win, again.

You have always wondered why, and who. Now that you know I’m behind it all, I supposed the biggest question mark is “Why??”. You want me to grant you that luxury?? The luxury to admit total defeat in the presence of a far more superior mind?? I can afford to spend some time reminiscing the past, for your sake. I can see that you cannot rest, not without knowing everything…

*********************************************************************

It’s true. He’ll be here tonight. My guys doubled checked it several times. He will be here soon enough, with plenty of time left to catch your plane. Yes, we’re just outside his usual route, but close enough to shadow him without being noticed, yes?

Yes, he’ll b…

BOOM!! CRASH!!

…there he is, unsurprisingly. Wait, wait!! He’s alright. NO!! We’ll be seen!! STOP!! Or I swear I’ll drag you home.Please, I beg you, not yet. He’s fine, just bruised a little. BACK OFF!! Shh…it’s alright, I think he didn’t see us. Yes, I think he’s alright…

Let’s go.

We’ll trail behind quietly. Tread lightly. There, that bus stop. Quick, before he turns. Okay, let’s quickly sprint past the TV shops…no…JUST THE TV SHOPS…

*********************************************************************

This is YOUR only time. He will. Say “Yes” of course. Nobody says “No” to you. I’ll never. Go. There isn’t anybody else. Trust me. You’ve planned this for so long…

At the count of three…three…two…HOLD!! Behind the pillar!! QUICK!!! No, I didn’t think he saw us…

GO!!

Me?? I’m just gonna wait. For what you ask?? Gonna wait for the prey to take the bait, of course. What bait?? You see, every prey has it’s own weakness. That’s what I’m gonna use as bait. What’s his?? Curiosity…curiosity and his self-righteousness. The prey thinks his all high and mighty, so I’ll use that to…

…Of course not; Of course all these are just in my head. If I were to do this, why would I tell you at all?? Why should I?

How did it go?? Good?? Great!!. He’ll go. You should put on the perfume I gave you. Yes. The Fleur d’Automne. My favourite. You’ll be the loveliest creature.

Yes, he will come.

*********************************************************************

There.

Not too close now…it’s pretty deserted. Can you see? Yes, Richmonds’ Diners. WAIT!! SHH!! There’s someone else!! No, they’re too far away. It’s downwind too. Impossible. Not without being seen.I’m telling you, it’s too deserted!!

NO!! They’ll know. The dump’s too exposed. You’ll be seen

Cold?? Come nearer. Rub your palms. There. Better?? Relax, calm yourself. You don’t have to get too worked up. Christ!! NO!! We’re staying p…

LOOK!! The other guy went back in. I think he’ll return…

*********************************************************************

He will. I know he will.

How would I know??

I just know.

And it’s a trade secret. You’re not supposed to know??

‘Cause he’s that kind of a guy. So loving and kind, indiscriminately. He thinks that’s his strength. But it shall be his undoing. Yes he should be heading to the lab right now. Why not the roof??

Definitely not!! 

He MUST go to the lab.  Why won’t he come to the roof?? Because the hunt needs to go just as the predator has intended. It’s all every intricate, calculated. There the prey shall meet his doom. His fall from grace. Then perhaps he’ll no longer have that arrogant smug on his face.

Why…you ask me?? ‘Cause he has his eyes on you!! You don’t think so?? I beg to differ. And that’s not the real issue; it’s the way you look at him, talk about him, think about him…

…Of course not; Of course I won’t tell you any of this. If I really meant so, would I tell you at all?? Ignorance is bliss.

About time.

Yes, I’ll be going. The hunt starts now. I’ll put an end to the buzz…

*********************************************************************

BOOM!! CRASH!!

He’s back. The guy from the bar. What’s that?? Not sure. Looks like a bottle. Liquor perhaps, unsurprisingly. Don’t look at me like that. I’m just stating the obvious. Alright I’ll drop it.

Look at how he drains it!!. Look at him. THAT”S your guy.

OUCH!! ALRIGHT!!

He’s on the move. Quick. You see that stall over there? On the count of three. NO!! NOT YET!! Wait till he’s beyond the hydrant. Where’s he going?? No idea. Just…follow my lead. Gosh.

Dead man walking.

*********************************************************************

He didn’t. But it’s true. Arrested.

It’s true. Why didn’t he come??

Of course, I can’t tell you. It’s a moment of glory. Master plan executed in perfection. Yes, I saw it all. From the start. Not a moment escaped my sight. How?? The cameras of course. What cameras?? The ones mounted on the wall. How?? Some help with the virus and a computer. Piece of cake.

Perfection. But it was meticulous. The amount of work needed to make sure this works was staggering. Had to make sure everything was where it’s supposed to be. The fabricated letter that you unknowingly passed to him yourself; the one I switched without you knowing, of course. The package in the lab. Bought off a pimp somewhere in the red light district. Cost me a fortune, those goodies. But it was worth it. Every single penny.

Of course, I had to plant the evidence deep inside the lair. The prey took it’s bait, so I had to drive it all the way in. So deep where it hurt the most. For this I had to do what will be my biggest crime. But this is all to protect you, from him. Can’t you see?? To keep you, from him.

What did I do?? Cameras. I told you, I’m good with them. Camped a few in your room, just for few nights. Snapped a few pictures. Edited them a little.Then sneaked in to remove the bugs, and stole a couple of the undies. Then I broke into his. Made it seemed like it was stashed secretly.

A perfect crime.

Too bad it’s my secret to bear alone. Of course, nobody else can and nobody else knew. You??

YOU MUST NEVER KNOW!!!  

*********************************************************************

It’s time. Time to go.

You’ll be late. It’s time. Time to go. The car is just around the corner. Go. We’ll be right on schedule. We’ll be in time to catch the plane. With time to spare.

You go ahead. Right behind you. Don’t look back…don’t look back…

*********************************************************************

“Me!!”

Not in your wildest dream, yeah?? Yes…you remembered…I’m surprised, and honoured. You still remember. Of course you would, after putting all the pieces together.

Yes. Me.

My name?? Do you remember?? You see my point?? You know her name. But I’m just another client.

It’s Hawkins. Brilliant, but troubled. Who else could have pulled something of this magnitude?? Who else but me?? Who else but the top mind of the institution. Yes, you’ve been a good teacher. And I, perhaps, your greatest student.

Why, you ask me??

‘Cause you’re Frankenstein and I’m your monster. Yes, Rhodes, your monster. Rhodes’ Monster. I’m your greatest invention.

You forced my hand. My existence is resulted  by the very thing you threatened to destroy. You made me. She’s everything to me. MINE ALONE.  More than you can imagine. I must protect her frail heart. NO ONE ELSE IS WORTHY OF THIS. No one…but me.

NO!! It’s MY duty!! You…you don’t understand!!

Come then, if you wish. Strike me. If you think your drunken limbs can still throw a straight. Why, I’ll just stand here. Nice range for a hook. Can you land it, on my right?? Come, it’s a free shot. I’m not too sure if you can land a straight in your condition, considering how short-sighted you are. But a hook is totally manageable. I think. I hope. Hah!!

No?? You looked like you’re ready to devour me. Whole. But what prey feasts on its predator?? Survival of the fittest. Well, as far as I can tell, you’re surviving pretty well. In the dumpsters, that is.

What do I want?? Just came to show you how far you’ve fallen. And to show you the full magnitude of your failure. You thought you’d protected her?? Kept her from being exposed?? From being shamed??

YOU FOOL!! It is I WHO HAS ALWAYS PROTECTED HER!! ME!!!

But then again, I supposed I owe you an apology. Your…your sense of…righteousness…choosing to keep her from being shamed…kept the police from investigating further, and kept me from behind bars. And I never looked back since. I’ve been by her side all these while, if this brings you any comfort.  Until she insisted on seeing you, one last time. Yes…yes, she was here. She saw everything. Witnessed everything.

No, no. She’s too kind to be an accomplice. What she doesn’t know doesn’t hurt her, yeah?? I’m sure you understand. I’m sure you’ll understand. Of course you do.

You’re my magnum opus.

Now…Frankenstein. Got to go. Nice chat. Where next, you ask me??

I’ve got a plane to catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment